Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Inspired by a friend who has her daughters keep a science/nature journal, we began our own journal last spring. It began naturally as we began planning and planting our first vegetable garden. It was a learning experience for mommy as well as the kids.
Some items that we included in our science journal/notebook:
* hand drawn pictures of our garden
* a list written by my daughter of vegetables we should plant
* coloring sheets relating to gardens (rain, seeds, etc)
* a color sheet from the children's museum about seed growth
* a graph showing the number of different insects/pests we found outside while digging
* a Bible verse - Zech 10:1 "Ask the Lord for rain in the springtime. For it is the Lord who sends the thunder clouds."
* drawings of insects and other things found in our yard
* an iron pressed leaf
* leaf tracings and observations of how leaves shrivel over time
We haven't added much as of late, but as the weather cools down, we will get outside some more to make more observations.